Friday, March 18, 2011

New Reel, What a Deal!

Christine got me a great gift certificate to Falmouth Bait and Tackle and I was looking forward to using to get a new reel for casting to tuna with a little left over to put towards a nice rod to put it on. Realistically this would have totaled about $300, $200 of which would have been covered by the gift certificate. Well as luck, or coincidence would have it I got a lead on a lightly used rod and it was being sold privately for $85. Normally the rod is about $160 or so new. I checked it out and it was in absolute pristine condition. No brainer, bought it. Now I could use my gift certificate on the new reel and have a little left over for a fighting belt. Perfect. Well, about 4 days after I bought the rod the guy emailed me a listing of someone selling the exact same reel I was in the market for at Falmouth Bait and Tackle. He was selling the reel for $100 which is about $50 cheaper than new. To top it off the reel was loaded with braid fishing line, about $50 worth or so. I had him swing by school during my lunch brake and again, it was in perfect condition and he had never even caught a tuna on it yet. Another no brainer. So, now I have a brand new rod and reel combo for casting to tuna and I paid exactly $185 for. When purchased new, including the line I would have spent well over $300. Now I have $200 to spend towards a fighting belt and plenty of money left over to buy some lures and maybe a gaff. This is the year I bring home some sushi!!!

No comments: