Monday, January 4, 2010

Working on the Bathroom

Tried to give it a shot at being a handy man over winter break. It is tough. Our upstairs bathroom has been an eye sore for quite some time and finally I got the nerve up to give it a shot. First problem, the wood was peeling back from over the tub from years of moisture getting in. I had to rip out the wood, put up some blueboard and joint compound the pieces together. So far so good, but a little more time consuming then I had hoped. I was able to paint the window and heater and they both look nice. Next, the ceiling. The ceiling was covered with popcorn plaster. I scraped it all off and in most places got down to bare wood. Before going any further I bleached the entire bathroom to get rid of the mold. Then I put a layer of joint compound all over the entire ceiling, smoothed it out and sanded it. Filled in any holes with a second coat, sanded it again and painted it. Looks nice and most people would never know there is no plaster up there I think. Then I ripped out the vanity and filled in the wall behind it and prepped it to be painted. I took out the toilet too. Then came the hard stuff and luckily I had help. Paul and Brian came down yesterday and helped me tile the floor and rewire a ceiling light / fan combo that could be switched on individually. I am glad that I did not try the electrical part by myself, I never would have been able to do it. Brian did the tiling and I did some cutting, the tiles look great.

Still left to do. Next up is putting the grout in the tiles and putting on some sealer. When that is done I need to do a couple patches in the ceiling where the new light does not cover the old hole. Then I will sand the walls down and paint the walls. Then, I will need to install the vanity and the toilet and the bathroom is done. Whole new bathroom other than the tub. Phew! Hoping I can get it all done by Sunday. We'll see.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Spacify offer a wide selection of Bathroom Vanities for your new bathroom ideas.

Term Papers said...

I am glad that I did not try the electrical part by myself, I never would have been able to do it. Brian did the tiling and I did some cutting, the tiles look great.
Term papers