Friday, April 4, 2008

Why am I so cheap? Dad?



Well I am consistently seeing these guys on message boards talking about all the reels and rods that they have. Penn, Abu's, ZeeBaas and Van Staal. Hundreds of dollars, for the REEL. Then they talk about their rods Lamiglas, Tsunami etc. Yes, hundreds of dollars. Some of these guys are fishing with outfits that are worth close to or over $1000. Did I mention these are surf fisherman? Don't even get me started on how much trolling guys spend on their reels and rods. A nice reel goes for about $1000.

When in Mexico with my parents my father became quickly known as the crazy barterer. "Mr. Cheapo" is what one of the store owners began to call him. I am not sure if it is just his fault though. Honestly, Christine and I are both teachers with two children under the age of 10. Oh yeah, we have a house on Cape Cod, two cars and a brand new boat. Obviously we have spent some money on things and do not have extra cash laying around for $1000 fishing setups.

I will continue to use my Ugly Stick with the stock Shakespeare reel it came with until it goes down. When the reel dies (which could be soon) I will feel quite comfortable buying a nice Okuma reel in the same size that will cost well under $100. I have two trolling setups for the boat. One is a setup that my father bought when I was about 6 years old and it still works. I am also thankful of the great birthday present that my mom got me this year. A nice boat rod with a large Penn Senator reel. I have two other light tackle setups for bluefish and schoolie stripers. These are freshwater setups that combined cost me under $100. I love them both, lots of fun to fish with.

Don't get me wrong, if I had the money I would buy a Lamiglas rod with a ZeeBaas or Van Staal reel in a second, but for now I will concentrate what I am putting in the water rather than what I am holding out of the water.

No comments: