Thursday, May 14, 2009

I am a runner!

Never thought I would say it, but I think I just might be a runner. Christine got me really fired up about running the Falmouth Road Race. I signed up once before and I am not quite sure why I didn't run it, but I chickened out. Christine ran it and I watched her with the kids. Perhaps some old running race wounds. I was pretty quick when I was a kid and my dad brought me to a few running races. Somewhere along the line not winning made me a bit discouraged and I stopped doing the running races. Pretty dumb, but i was maybe in second grade.

Last night during Thomas' soccer practice and doubts of whether or not I would be able to run 7+ miles by August running through my head, I made the choice to start running at the beginning of his practice and see how long I could run for. I have been timing my pace on my normal mile and a half loop that I do around the neighborhood and it has been around the 9 minute mile mark (I am definitely not breaking any land speed records with that i know). I ended up running for 53 minutes. Now I do not want to get too excited and I am sure that I was probably going a bit slower than my normal pace, but let's just say I was doing a 9 minute and 30 second mile (I think I was going faster, but for the sake of erring on the worse side), that would mean I went somewhere between 5 and 6 miles. Considering the longest I had been running up until this point was 3.4 miles once or twice a month I am pretty psyched. In addition, I could have kept going too. One of the drawbacks that I have noticed about running is that my back gets really sore. Usually the night of a morning run or in the morning after I have slept. During this long run I was feeling tightness in my back for the last few laps and I decided to stop, plus I knew I had gone a fair distance and was growing increasingly curious as to how long/far I had run. Definitely could have banged out another mile as far as stamina was concerned. I need to do a bit of research on what I might be doing to cause this back issue, but either way it is not major and is worth me being in shape and healthy. The pain is not in anyway causing me to take pills.

No comments: